In an attempt to continue to assist others in stitching 'stitch people' hair, I have been continuing to record myself embroidering hair for my pieces.
As you can see, unfortunately, I'm still trying to work out the best way to record my work as I don't have a dedicated (read: proper) setup. So I would like to apologise right off the bat for the poor quality of the finished result.
But hopefully, it is helpful and informative!
A brief overview on what you need to know or do:
- You'll need a 2nd needle
- Working with a long section of thread will make things easier
- It's OK if it doesn't look right first try. Just un-pick it and try again!
- To begin with, you're going to want to do two bullion stitches, one of which will be double width. Check out the video to see how to do a bullion stitch and where to put them both.
- Once you have those two looking good and in the right spots, all you're going to do is some short 'long stitches' over the two bullion stitches. This gives the look of Baptiste's pompadour hairstyle quickly and easily.
- To complete the hairstyle (as you can see in the still image at the very end of the video), you'll want to do a little hint of hair on his temples to give the effect of the shaved sides. Just some simple diagonal back stitches - easy!
Get stitching on @twolittlekits' Baptiste cross-stitch pattern and watch how to do his hair using this #IGTV demo
If you do end up getting Baptiste's pattern, I would love to see your finished product. Just tag me in whichever social media platform is your preferred choice.
Let me know what you think of this video too! Either on Instagram or in the comments below. I'd love to hear feedback!